Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Search for a Laptop - Where Do I Begin?

Its been a while since I’ve owned a laptop and I am looking forward to the freedom to move and work in different environments. I recently decided that I needed to purchase laptop as my others, an elderly MacBook and a Dell have both completely died. I had no idea where to start.

No doubt, all of us know “techies”, so I figured I would start with them. Well they asked me all types of questions. What operating system would I like on it, memory, speed, battery life; basically, what are the uses going to be for my laptop? This helped me to realize that I really hadn’t thought this through. The only thing I knew was that I didn’t want Windows Vista because I had heard so much about the bugs and computers crashing, etc. from other users and I didn’t want to go through that. So I had to try and figure out if all new laptops have Windows Vista? Can I still purchase one with Window XP? If so, from where? Can I change the operating system once I get it? Do I want a MAC or PC? What are the benefits to either?

This has indeed been a learning experience. The first thing I learned is just like when choosing a target market, you must begin with the end in mind. I guess Steven Covey’s rule transcend multiple levels of business. What are you going to be using the laptop for? If it is for basic web surfing and word processing, there are certain things you don’t necessarily NEED in a laptop that affect the cost (i.e. paying for more memory). However, if you feel your use of the laptop might increase, you can purchase one that has the ability to grow with your business.

If you like the sleek stylish look of a MAC, does that mean you will not be compatible with your clients who may be Windows users. Not necessary, MAC has many add on products that make the transition and use of both platforms seamless.

Yet, I am still deciding. MAC vs PC. Windows Vista vs. Windows XP. The search continues.

3 comments:

Virtual Business Concepts said...

I have Vista and do not like it as much as I did XP. In addition, I just read an article last week that XP is gone. All PCs will now have Vista.

administrative partners, llc said...

Thanks for your comments. I'm finding this to be true, although I found some "refurbished" laptops that still ran XP. I'm a little apprehensive about that option though. I think I may just go with a MAC. Still researching though.

thanks again

Stephen M. Otto, Esquire said...

In what way is a Mac not compatible with a PC? Back in the day (pre 1990), you had to be concerned about this because the only way to transfer data was by using "sneaker net" using a floppy disk, and Macs and PC's used completely different disk storage structures. Well, it is now 2008, and this is no longer the case. We don't even use disks any more. A word file created on a PC is totally compatible with word on the Mac, etc.